Mark Twain is one of the early American writers, who created some unforgettable characters such as Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. His novels abound in humor and witty one liners. Some of my favorites from The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn are:
1. Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
2. S’pose Henry opened his mouth – what then? If he didn’t shut his it up powerful quick he’d lose a lie every time.
3. A person does a low down thing, and then he don’t want to take no consequences of it. Thinks as long as he can hide, it ain’t no disgrace.
4. If you’re with the quality, or at a funeral, or trying to go to sleep when you ain’t sleepy – if you are anywheres where it won’t do for you to scratch, why you will itch all over in upward of a thousand places.
5. Ransomed what’s that?…. Well, I don’t know. But per’aps if we keep them till they’re ransomed, it means that we keep them till they’re dead.
6. Here a captive heart busted
7. Here a lonely heart broke, and a worn spirit went to its rest, after thirty seven years of solitary captivity.
8. We had the sky up there, all speckled with stars and.. discuss about whether they was made or just happened. Jim said the moon could’a laid them.. as I’ve seen a frog lay most as many, so of course it could be done.